These classy little treats couldn’t be easier to achieve…Go on you know you want to?
Maple and Walnut Thins
150gms soft butter
300gms plain flour
50mls maple syrup
50gms finely chopped walnuts
3 drops of maple extract (optional)
Pre heat oven to gas 3 electric 170c
- Mix the soft butter, sugar and maple syrup together in a large bowl until well combined. If you are using the extract add it now. (The extract is a good way of getting a good maple flavour without altering the mixture with more maple syrup, its available from good baking shops or the internet, always try get extract as this is natural not chemicals)
- Tip in all the flour and walnuts and work together until a soft to firmish ball is reach.
- Wrap this in cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes (this is important as it makes a crisp biscuit and rolls out better)
- Cut the dough in half and roll out onto a floured surface, roll to a thickness you like and cut out. I’ve used a heart shape cutter as I was making them for the charity Little heart matter.
- Place the biscuits on a greased tray sprinkle with caster sugar (this is optional) and bake until just turning golden (as with all shortbread they need to pale but cooked don’t worry you will master this.)
- Cool on a wire tray and make a cup of tea.
- Try cutting some out quite small and serving on the saucer next to a cup of fresh coffee.
- As with every recipe I bring you, don’t stop with this combination? Try other combinations eg:Chopped apricot and chopped almonds
- Just plain
- Hazelnut and chocolate chip